Diet and lifestyle changes can be intimidating. Whether you are brand new to the Lap-Band or have had one for years your diet is, and always will be, important to your success. Protein shakes can be a convenient and simple way to achieve your recommended 60 grams of protein each day. It is important to choose protein shakes or protein shake powder made with whey protein as this type of protein is a “complete protein” which means it has all 9 essential amino acids. To avoid burnout with the same protein shake try out some new recipes like the 5 listed below! You can even meal-prep the recipes by putting all ingredients (minus the milk) in individual baggies to be prepped and ready for your morning!
- 1 pint blackberries, blueberries, or raspberries (or mix)
- 2 cups fat free vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 scoops of whey protein powder
- Liquid stevia sweetener, per your taste.
Blend all berries in blender until smooth. Stir in fat free Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and protein powder. Blend till smooth consistency. Fill Popsicle molds and place tray freezer for 20-30 minutes, then insert wooden sticks. Freeze overnight or 8-10 hours. Refresh your summer thirst and kill your sugar cravings with this perfect protein delight! Recipe makes about 12 pops.
- 1 cup of frozen blueberries
- 1/2 small banana
- 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla soy/almond/cow’s milk
- 2 tablespoons flax seed
- 1½ scoops of whey protein powder
- 1 cup ice cubes or more, per liking.
Blend blueberries, banana, milk, flax seed, protein powder and ice until smooth consistency. Pour in a nice chilled glass and enjoy!!!
- 4oz of strawberry fat free Greek yogurt
- 8 oz. almond/soy/cow’s milk (unsweetened)
- 1 scoop of chocolate or vanilla flavored whey protein powder
- 1 tablespoon of powdered peanut butter.
Blend the strawberry fat free Greek yogurt, water, milk, protein powder, and the powdered peanut butter until smooth consistency. Feel free to alter fat free yogurt flavor to fit your liking.
- ¼ cup of low-fat cottage cheese
- 8 oz. soy/almond/cow’s milk
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tps. Butter extract
- 1 1/2 packets of Stevia
- 1 cup of ice cubes
Blend all ingredients to liking. Add water to achieve a consistency you like. This makes for one shake, make enough for 2 and share with a friend or loved one over breakfast!
- 1 cup of soy/almond/cow’s milk
- 1 scoop of strawberry whey protein
- 1/8 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 3 strawberries hulled and diced
- 1/2 packet of stevia
- 1 cup of ice cubes
Blend milk, protein, vanilla, strawberries, and stevia before adding ice. Blend till smooth consistency and pour in chilled glass. If you’re feeling fancy, top shake with frozen strawberries!
Here you go! 5 new shakes to add to your protein shake recipes. Make them and share them on our Facebook. We want to hear how YOU like them!!! To learn more about Dr. McEwen and Community Surgery Center Hamilton team visit our Facebook page or call our office at 317-621-2500.
For personalized information on LAP-BAND surgery click here and ORBERA click here.
Want more inspiration? Follow our socials for a closer look at life with the LAP-BAND® team!